Blizzard showed fans today how Overwatch 2 will move from its predecessor’s standard price of $60 to a free live service model. The reveal thread also revealed the season release roadmap and newest hero: Junker Queen.
Aaron Keller, Overwatch 2′s game director said the team decided to go free-to-play to ensure the new release is a “live game” with seasonal content that players can look forward to “in the coming years.”
“In recent years, we haven’t done enough to bring this to our fans, and we feel their frustration,” Keller said. “We have carefully studied our strategy Overwatch 2 to make sure we can deliver new heroes, new maps, modes, and more to the community on a regular and consistent basis.”
The team plans to release these updates every nine weeks as part of seasonal events. Overwatch 2 Production director Paul Khalil said that players will be able to understand what they mean in the second beta of the game, which will be playable on both Xbox and PlayStation, as well as PC.
Here are some of the updates coming to Overwatch 2 in October and December:
- There will be no more loot boxes, although the event teased a battle pass and an in-game store for Overwatch 2.
- Competitive play will be accompanied by a post-match report that will provide players with information about their performance.
- PvE in 2023 will have playable canonical storylines
- Maps of Rio and Portugal will be added to the game.
- Mythic Skinswhich are cosmetic skins designed to be one step ahead of legendary skins as well as characters Enchantment display on weapons and banners.
Read more: Overwatch Fans are going crazy over a character who barely showed up
The event also featured a new origin story and a video for your new tank hero, Junker Queen. First seen during Junkertown escort map trailerJunker Queen first Overwatch character designed specifically for Overwatch 25 vs 5 gameplay. She will be available during Overwatch 2second beta on June 28th. Here is a summary of her abilities.
- She wields a giant battle ax which is good for her.
- Her abilities replenish her health by debilitating enemies, just like Miora.
- She wields a Jagged Blade weapon, which is a short knife named Gracie, with which Junker Queen can melee enemies and stab enemies as a secondary attack, inflicting a wound. Summoning Jagged Blade back to Junker Queen will result in a stabbed enemy.
- Junker Queen’s Ultimate: Rampage is a magnetized metal forward attack that deals damage and debuffs the enemy’s healing, similar to Ana’s. biotic grenades.
Overwatch 2 will be released October 4th.